WINTER

Thursday 12 January 2012

New Windows in January...???

I am writing to you from a far from cosy barn in the French countryside in the middle of winter!! My clever husband and I have been popping windows into the roof of the barn for a year or so now whenever we get a moment and we get very excited about the extra light that revolutionizes our world as a result...today was number 9 - 10 - 11 and they are set to lighten up my kitchen from above when the sun shines in tomorrow morning...what a great joy the simple things in life can bring. Being film makers for most of our lives light has always played a huge part of the way we see, feel and create mood in our home...when we moved into the barn we started off in a fairly dark zone which was met with constant irritation from the small people in our family but now they are older and have become teenagers we get complaints that the new windows are too light in the mornings when they want to sleep away the day...one cannot win but for me it is another step towards completion on a project that is teaching me patience and appreciation of the small things in life...like finally getting a bathroom door a couple of weeks ago...you may laugh but that is the wholesome truth!! It only took 5 years BUT my husband insists I must 'enjoy the process'...it is testing....
So while the roof tiles were removed on this unpredicted frosty morning I busied myself making pumpkin soup loaded with garlic and fresh grated ginger. Finished off with a can of coconut milk and that was a warming lunch sorted! We were going to need it...although the skies were blue and the sun came out the chill in the air remained! With the windows now in but the isolation still off it will be a cold 'three dog four duvet' night!! BUT tomorrow the light will shine......

No comments: