WINTER

Friday 16 December 2011

London / Londres

Just back from a whistle stop trip to London...main excuse was to collect Oscar from Uni but was the perfect way to allow a chance to check into 'Chez Julia' for a catch up and whizz around a few bars and restaurants, shops and cafes!!

After a quick Xmas shop for the girls in their favourite London haunts I met my make up artist friend Bernie in the High Road House Brasserie in Chiswick High Road for a lovely bottle of Chilean Sav Blanc and a good girlie catch up...bit of a film/media hang out this is a great place for a chat and a snack and I always enjoy the gorgeous Moroccan tiled floors which has such a great texture and colour palate...very cool....


 I then went on to dinner with other friends at the new restaurant 'Lola and Simon'...a short walk up the road towards Hammersmith. Billed as an Argentinean/New Zealand Restaurant I was keen to try it out. Recommended by friends who live nearby it is fast gaining a great reputation for great brunch, coffee and cakes as well as evening dining. Started up by a young couple...one from New Zealand and one from Argentina it takes a mix of the two cultures, wines and food...

I spent a few weeks working in Buenos Aires on a Bacardi TV commercial a few years back and really enjoyed the food and wine...I remember hearty reds and great red meat served in modern stylish restaurants...in particular one called simply 'Sucre Restaurant'...the luxury of travelling with film crews to far away places it that you get to dine hosted by the locals at their favourite haunts. I was pregnant with Liliana at the time and as result of my visit she is named after my assistants mother...Liliana...who was also our driver...SO this special city will always hold a place near to my heart...

'Lola and Simon'...named after, not the couple, but their dogs...proved to be a good night out with friends...a simple interior not making too many statements. It has a mean wine list of NZ Sav Blanc and Argentinean Merlot's and the menu was limited but enjoyable...not particularly Kiwi but we all enjoyed our Argentinean Empanadas, Green Lipped Muscles and Argentinean Steak with garlic mash...at £40 each for wine and 2 courses not a cheap night out!

After a big drive from France and a busy afternoon then evening bed was welcome!

The next day I awake in Grove Park in my lovely guest room at Julia's to blue skies and sunshine and a gorgeous London morning...

 I did the usual run around the supermarket for all the ingredients that were impossible to buy in France and the stop off for some NZ wine stocks and down to pick up my son and then back to France...in time for a late supper...and a very stormy windy night in the country!!

Last day of school for Liliana today and then it is holidays for all....will be nice to have all of the kids back under the same roof again...Family Time!


No comments: